Join - Strengthen - Create
Affinity groups are defined as a group of Senior Fellows that comes together, formally or informally, through a common interest or goal. ALF staff may assist with scheduling convenings, facilitation and suggesting new members for maximum diversity and connection across classes. To form / join an ALF Affinity Group, or add an existing Affinity Group to our list, contact Chief Impact Officer Jenny Niklaus: firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-554-2011.
- Cancer Support Group for Women: For women who have personally experienced or been affected by cancer.
- Civic Engagement: Senior Fellows have a dialogue on how a lack of connection to community is leading to philanthropic dollars leaving the region, anemic non-profits, and a breakdown of trust and engagement in local government. How do we connect all residents to community?
- Connect San Jose: This group’s vision is a city of ringed and crisscrossed by a network of trails and protected bicycle lanes that allow residents to commute safely and pleasantly between neighborhoods as well as to showcase the cultural diversity of our community.
- Faith Leaders: A group of Senior Fellows – both faith leaders and lay people – meeting monthly. Using the lens of faith, this affinity group commits to shining a light on bigotry in all its forms and highlighting the power of our shared humanity; creating a space that allows for meaningful dialogue in order to heal the fracture of perceived difference; and educating and bringing awareness to critical issues facing our valley, in particular the needs of those that are poor and homeless.
- **NEW** The Future of Work: We are convening an initial conversation in late 2017.
- Life’s Work Transitions: Founded by Naomi Fine (Class XX) and Meri Maben (Class XXIV) the Life’s Work Transitions Affinity Group for Senior Fellows meets on the 4th Tuesday of the month from 3:30-5:30 in the Palo Alto area.
- Los Gatos Community and Racism: Senior Fellows who are Los Gatos residents will be coming together later this month to dialogue on racist incidents that occurred recently at Los Gatos High School. The goal is to examine the experience of race and culture in Los Gatos, and allow the cross sector ALF community emerge with solutions that could be scaled.
- Nonprofit CEO Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: This group came together to create a place of safety for nonprofit CEOs to dialogue about their roles in bringing diversity, equity and inclusion, in a meaningful way, to their organizations. The group has as a primary goal to dismantle white supremacy through deeply understanding personally and professionally how it is expressed through their work. In addition, they are working to craft a code of “Allyship” and sharing resources to support an honest dialogue.
- PAC for the Common Good: This group is working to provide San Jose with a new option for political action, empowering leaders and supporting issues that will benefit the common good.
- **NEW** Sexual Harassment in the Workplace: We are convening an initial conversation in late 2017.
- Viva San Jose: This group is working to create cultural activations of public space through events and happenings meant to introduce San Jose to itself and to the world, creating unity and joy.
ALF Faith Leaders Group Retreat, 2016