COVID-19 Resource Page: A Call for ALF Senior Fellow Leadership and Solidarity
Our cross-sector ALF network was made for moments like this when our community urgently needs collaboration across sectors, relationships and shared resources to address inequities, and leadership for the common good! We are all dealing with the unexpected impact of Covid-19 and have set up this page for Senior / Fellows that either need or want to help. We will be updating this regularly. If you would like to add / update information, please contact Akemi@alfsv.org.
DONATIONS NEEDED NOW.
Please GIVE GENEROUSLY to support those hardest hit by this health and financial crisis.
- Silicon Valley Community Foundation – Nicole Taylor (XXXIX), Gina Dalma (XXX), Eric Wood (XXVII)
- SiliconValley Strong Fund – part of the SVCF Regional Response Fund and siliconvalleystrong.org initiative – Sam Liccardo (XXI) and many more ALF Senior Fellows!
- San Mateo Strong for individuals/families, nonprofits, and small businesses
- San Francisco Foundation Response to COVID-19
Consider donating to local organizations you already support or have appreciated but never supported until now – don’t wait for their year-end appeals, support them now even more!
Arts organizations are having to close their doors, losing ticket sales, space rentals and revenue from season passes. ALF Senior Fellows are associated with these organizations, if you are interested in contributing via their websites:
- MACLA – Anjee Helstrup (XXXVII)
- Opera San Jose – James Williams (XXXIII)
- San Jose Jazz Festival – Brendan Rawson (XXXI)
- San Jose Taiko – Wisa Uemura (XXXI), Roy Hirabayashi (XVIII) & PJ Hirabayashi (XXIX)
- School of Arts & Culture at Mexican Heritage Plaza – Chris Esparza (XXXIV)
- SV African Film Festival – Chike Nwoffiah (XXI)
- Community Arts Stabilization Trust – Moy Eng (XXV)
- SVCreates is working to support arts organizations with recovery and sustainability – Connie Martinez (X), Alexandra Urbanowski (XI)
Community service nonprofits are also impacted as they try to sustain valuable programs while not being able to meet grant contract deliverables under current conditions, having concerns with paying staff who may be forced to work limited hours, and being forced to cancel fundraising events that are critical to their operations.
Here are some of the organizations that have had to cancel or postpone their major fundraising events:
- Child Advocates CASA of Silicon Valley – Fred Ferrer (XI)
- The Health Trust – Michele Lew (XXI)
- Housing Trust of Silicon Valley – Kevin Zwick (XXV)
- Latinas Contra Cancer – Darcie Green (XXVIII)
- Law Foundation of SV – Alison Bruner (XXIX)
- NAACP Silicon Valley – Rev. Jeff Moore (XXVIII) – NAACP is also seeking help with backpacks, cellphones and housing for people being released from jail. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Somos Mayfair – Camille Llanes Fontanilla (XXXVIII)
- YWCA of Silicon Valley – Tanis Cosby (XXXIII), Naomi Nakano-Matsumoto (XXIV)
Frontline safety net organizations have critical volunteer needs especially for safe food distribution. Please note, protocols are continuously changing. We will update this info as things develop.
- Sunnyvale Community Services – Volunteer – Marie Bernard (XXXI)
- Second Harvest Food Bank of SV – Volunteer – Leslie Bacho (XXXVII)
- Sign up to volunteer where the need is greatest with Silicon Valley Strong
Nonprofits are also in need of pro bono expertise such as:
- Technology to work virtually
- Financial, HR and legal guidance, e.g. applying for loans, risk management, etc.
Sign up here through siliconvalleystrong.org. Joint Venture Silicon Valley – Russell Hancock (XX) will help connect you with nonprofit organizations in coordination with SVCN: Silicon Valley Council of Nonprofits – Kyra Kazantzis (XXXVI)
HELP THE HELPERS!
In addition to direct monetary donations to nonprofits serving the community, you can send delivered meals to the dedicated staff and volunteers who are providing “essential services” to our most vulnerable community members. Click here to sign up.
Or donate to Feed the Frontline created by Ryan Sebastian, Moveable Feast (XXXVIII) in partnership with Jim Reber, San Jose Parks Foundation (XXXVI) to keep food truck workers working while providing meals to hospital nurses and housing keeping staff as well as nonprofit frontline staff and volunteers.
Social service organizations, like food banks and homeless shelters, desperately need masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, Clorox/alcohol-based wipes and other cleaning supplies with alcohol as well as laptops. Email email@example.com to let us know what supplies you can donate, and we’ll help you coordinate delivery in partnership with SVCN.
Unity Care seeks donations of cash, gift cards, and furniture/household items for foster youth who have recently moved into Unity Care apartments – Andre Chapman (XXIII)
YWCA of SV seeks donations of diapers, baby formula, toilet paper, etc. for their shelter and childcare. Click here for more details. Schedule a delivery: 408.295.4011 x1002 – Tanis Cosby (XXXIII), Naomi Nakano-Matsumoto (XXIV)
Healthier Kids Foundation seeks donations of tablets, diapers, etc. – Kathleen King (XVII)
See OpEds/columns/podcasts by Senior Fellows about how we can all help:
Dr. Robert Pearl (XVII), Permanente Medical Group:
Kyra Kazantzis, SVCN: Silicon Valley Council of Nonprofits (XXXVI): Nonprofits Need Extra Help to Survive This Pandemic
Sal Pizzaro, Mercury News (XXXVI): Coronavirus Pushing Arts and Nonprofit Groups to the Edge
Michele Lew (XXI), Sarita Kohli (XXXV), with Richard Konda: Stand up to Racism Emerging from Pandemic